Guests can fill lettuce cups with steak and fresh herb sprigs or place steak and herbs in lettuce leaves and roll them. If you can't find Memmi Noodle Soup Base, use a combination of fish stock, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar.
- 5 pounds hanger steak, trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal across the grain
- 2 tablespoons whiskey, such as Jack Daniel's
- 3/4 cup Memmi Noodle Soup Base (amazon.com or asianfoodgrocer.com)
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup finely sliced scallions (from 8 scallions)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 head Treviso radicchio, trimmed and separated into leaves
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, trimmed and separated into leaves
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil
Toss steak with whiskey. Cover tightly, and refrigerate 8 hours. Transfer steak to a large bowl. Whisk together soup base and sugar until sugar dissolves, and pour over steak. Add garlic, scallions, sesame seeds, and sesame oil, and toss to combine thoroughly. Cover tightly, and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours.
Let steak sit at room temperature 1 hour, and season with salt. Meanwhile, heat grill to medium-high. Grill steak 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Serve with radicchio and lettuce leaves and herbs.