Creole Coffee Punch
Chicory was used in New Orleans during the Civil War to stretch limited coffee supplies. Over the years, blending the slightly bitter root with coffee beans became a local tradition.
- 4 cups strongly brewed coffee-chicory blend
- 6 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup rum-based orange liqueur, such as Rhum Clement Creole Shrubb (astorwines.com)
- Ice cubes
- Orange twists, for garnish
Combine coffee-chicory blend, milks, and liqueur, and stir to combine well. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 1/2 hours. Serve over ice, garnished with orange twists.