Aligote on Toast
Treat your family and friends to this rich, cheesy potato dish from chef David Bouley of Bouley restaurant in New York City.
Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April 2012
- 1 pound Yukon Gold or other all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces Langres cheese
- 2 ounces Monte Enebro cheese
- White truffle oil, for serving
- Toasted baguette slices, for serving
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover; generously salt water and bring to a boil, adjusting the heat so that the water is bubbling, but not too rapidly. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Drain and mash or pass potatoes through a ricer into saucepan. Place over low heat and add milk; stir to combine. Add butter and stir until melted. Beat with a wooden spoon until stringy.
Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with truffle oil. Serve with toasts.