Anchovy Dip with Crudites
To alleviate the saltiness in anchovies, soak them in cool water for 30 minutes, then drain and pat dry. This savory dip recipe, from chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten, highlights the tiny and flavorful fish.
Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 7128
For the Dip
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 salted anchovy filets packed in oil, soaked, and patted dry
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Belgian endive, quartered lengthwise
- Celery, peeled and cut into 3-inch-long pieces
- Fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
- Small, thin carrots, peeled
- Breakfast and globe radishes
- Sugar-snap peas, halved lengthwise
- Summer squash, cut into 3-inch-long pieces
- Red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, cut into 3-inch-long pieces
Make the dip: Place garlic in a small saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Drain and repeat process. Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath. Drain garlic and transfer to ice-water bath until cooled.
Drain garlic and transfer to the jar of a blender along with anchovies, milk, vinegar, and salt; blend until smooth. With the machine running, add olive oil; blend until creamy and smooth. Serve with vegetables for dipping.