Blueberry–Cream Cheese Hand Pies
These hand pies travel well, so tuck them into lunchboxes or brown bags. You can substitute 2 store-bought pie crusts for the homemade ones, if you like.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 10 ounces frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pie Dough, each disk rolled 1/8 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stir together cream cheese, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, lemon zest, and egg until smooth. Toss blueberries with 1/4 cup granulated sugar, lemon juice, and flour.
Lay 1 dough round on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cut into quarters. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon cream cheese mixture into center of each quarter. Spoon 2 tablespoons blueberry mixture on top. Brush edges with cream and bring opposite corners together to form triangles; trim if needed. Crimp edges to seal, brush tops with cream, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Repeat with remaining dough round and fillings. Cut a small vent in each pie and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool completely on wire racks before serving.
SourceEveryday Food, May 2012