Pulled Chicken with Apple-Cucumber Slaw
While you enjoy these sandwiches, what's left of your chicken simmers in water, creating stock to use later.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, May 2012
- 1 rotisserie chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- 2 English cucumbers, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions (green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
Shred chicken, discarding skin and reserving bones. In a medium pot, bring chicken bones and 9 cups water to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours. Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a heatproof container; let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for use in Baked Polenta with Sausage and Artichoke Hearts and Tortellini Soup with Peas and Spinach.
Meanwhile, stir together apple, cucumbers, scallions, and mayonnaise. In a large skillet, heat chicken, mustard, vinegar, honey, and 1/4 cup water over medium-high, tossing to combine, until warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Divide chicken mixture among buns and top with apple-cucumber slaw.