Chicken Kebabs in Lettuce Cups
Take these kebabs, wrapped in lettuce, and bring them in for lunch.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Everyday Food, May 2012
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1/2 small red onion, half thinly sliced and half grated
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, half chopped
- 2 ounces feta, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 heads butter lettuce, such as Boston or Bibb, trimmed and leaves separated
Soak 8 wooden skewers in water, 15 minutes. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Soak sliced onion in warm water, 10 minutes. Using your hands, gently combine grated onion, chicken, garlic, chopped mint, feta, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 8 portions, form around skewers, and brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill until cooked through, about 12 minutes, flipping once.
Drain sliced onion and toss with 1 tablespoon oil, whole mint leaves, tomatoes, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Serve kebabs in lettuce leaves, topped with onion salad.