Quick-Braised Salmon and Lettuce
Cooked lettuce absorbs the broth's flavor and makes a silky side dish -- all in one pot.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Everyday Food, May 2012
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 heads loose-leaved lettuce, such as green or red leaf, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
In a large pot, melt butter over medium. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 minutes. Add lemon zest and broth and bring to a simmer. Season salmon with salt and pepper and add to pot. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Add lettuce (pot will be full), cover, and cook until lettuce is wilted and salmon is cooked through, 9 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with dill and broth if desired.