Under 30 Minutes
Grilled Butter Lettuce with Creamy Dressing
Grilling gives lettuce charred edges that add extra flavor while keeping the inside nice and crunchy.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 heads butter lettuce, such as Bibb or Boston, halved
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, and vinegar. Stir in basil and chives; season with salt and pepper. (To store, refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 3 days.)
Brush both sides of bread with oil and grill, flipping once, until toasted, 3 minutes. Rub with garlic, season with salt, and cut into cubes.
Grill lettuce, cut side down, until charred in spots, about 3 minutes. Serve warm, topped with dressing and croutons.