Savory Cheese Waffles
- 2 cups White Lily flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups whole buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda three times; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, and butter until well combined. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Batter should have a pudding-like consistency. If necessary, add more buttermilk, 1/4 cup at a time, until pudding-like consistency is reached. Stir in cheese, sugar, and salt; season with pepper.
Preheat a waffle iron. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup batter to heated waffle iron; close and cook until dark golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes, depending on your waffle iron. Repeat process with remaining batter and serve immediately.