1 of 17
After missing several spring weekends at their country house, a couple found themselves -- and their vegetable and flower gardens -- in the weeds. The remedy? Invite a handful of green-thumbed friends for a productive day of fresh air, weed-pulling, and planting. Their reward? A delicious picnic lunch.
The gardeners, in need of watering, helped themselves to water with fresh lemon and cucumber slices.
2 of 17
Henrietta and Clementine Dow chipped in to give Dana Gallagher and Steven Miller’s upstate New York garden a makeover.
3 of 17
Grow, Eat, Repeat
Gallagher and Miller plant nasturtiums next to the sorrel that has thrived ever since Gallagher introduced it to the garden four years ago.
5 of 17
Ada and Danny
Ada Tolla and Danny Bright work side by side near the garden’s fence.
6 of 17
A galvanized bucket holds a bunch of garlic, just yanked from the soil.
9 of 17
Foxgloves, which surround the garden, not only look beautiful but are deer resistant.
10 of 17
Miller constructed the garden fence from reclaimed wood and other salvaged materials.
12 of 17
Imogen and Ciro
Imogen Miller and Ciro Bright have the important job of keeping inventory of the garden tools.
13 of 17
Eat, Plant, Love
Mim Dow plants lettuce.
14 of 17
Thomasine Dolan Dow pulls up some rhubarb, which was featured in the dessert.
16 of 17
Ready for Lunch
Gallagher had a stack of plates and a handful of silverware ready and waiting at lunchtime.
17 of 17
Made in the Shade
The friends take a break during the hottest part of the day to eat lunch.
You Just Viewed
Garden Clean-Up PicnicReplay
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Decorate with Brass
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- A Blueprint for Color
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- The Barest Simmer
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho