1 of 8
Under the Sea
3 of 8
Discard scraps. Halve smallest fin piece and round eyeball piece horizontally, discarding bottom halves.
5 of 8
Coat eyeballs with untinted buttercream and the rest of cake with blue buttercream, rounding over the fin in the center of the body. Refrigerate until frosting is firm, about 30 minutes and up to overnight.
6 of 8
Add a second smooth coat of untinted buttercream to eyes. Layer more blue buttercream on fins and tail, creating grooves with a small offset spatula.
7 of 8
Add more food coloring to remaining buttercream to darken it. Place in a pastry bag fitted with a small curved petal tip (Ateco #61). Starting at the edge of tail, pipe scallops across the body, overlapping each scallop and each row.
8 of 8
Use 2 candy-coated sunflower seeds as pupils and 1 red gummy Life Savers candy, halved, as lips.
You Just Viewed
Fish Cake How-ToReplay
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- A Blueprint for Color
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Decorate with Brass
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- The Barest Simmer
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold