1 of 8
Under the Sea
3 of 8
Discard scraps. Halve smallest fin piece and round eyeball piece horizontally, discarding bottom halves.
5 of 8
Coat eyeballs with untinted buttercream and the rest of cake with blue buttercream, rounding over the fin in the center of the body. Refrigerate until frosting is firm, about 30 minutes and up to overnight.
6 of 8
Add a second smooth coat of untinted buttercream to eyes. Layer more blue buttercream on fins and tail, creating grooves with a small offset spatula.
7 of 8
Add more food coloring to remaining buttercream to darken it. Place in a pastry bag fitted with a small curved petal tip (Ateco #61). Starting at the edge of tail, pipe scallops across the body, overlapping each scallop and each row.
8 of 8
Use 2 candy-coated sunflower seeds as pupils and 1 red gummy Life Savers candy, halved, as lips.
You Just Viewed
Fish Cake How-ToReplay
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- A Blueprint for Color
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- The Barest Simmer
- Decorate with Brass
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love