Under 30 Minutes
Romaine, Radicchio, and Endive Salad
This salad holds up well when dressed, making it ideal for a party.
- 1/2 loaf rustic bread
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup coarse-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 pounds mixed baby romaine, radicchio di Treviso, and Belgian endive (about 5 heads romaine, 3 heads radicchio, and 3 heads endive)
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved into curls with a vegetable peeler
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Tear bread into bite-size pieces, and toss with 3 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet until golden brown, about 9 minutes.
Whisk together mustard, shallot, lemon juice, basil, and remaining 1/2 cup oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Trim core ends of salad greens. Cut romaine heads in half lengthwise, and radicchios and endives into quarters lengthwise. Place half the wedges on a platter, and drizzle with 1/4 cup dressing. Top with remaining wedges, and drizzle with another 1/4 cup dressing. Scatter with cheese and croutons, and serve remaining dressing on the side.