Red Pepper and Pistachio Curried Shrimp
Prepare the familiar flavors of Indian cuisine in a fresh, new way with this curry dish from chef Vikas Khanna's "Flavors First."
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw, shelled pistachios, plus 10 pistachios finely chopped
- 2 fresh hot chile peppers, such as Thai bird's eye or serrano, stemmed and seeds removed for less heat, if desired
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
In the jar of a blender or the bowl of a food processor, blend bell pepper, onion, 1/2 cup pistachios, chiles, and 1/2 cup water to a smooth puree.
In a medium skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add garlic and cook until edges turn brown, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and salt and cook until just opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet; carefully add red pepper mixture and cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and simmer 3 to 4 minutes more; stir in chopped mint. Season with salt and serve garnished with chopped pistachios.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, March 2012