Embellish a box with treasured seashells and sea glass for a lovely keepsake in this how-to from TV crafter Kristin St. Clair.
Tools and Materials
- Wood veneer box
- Craft paint
- White glue
- Sea glass
- Small shells
- Other beachcombing finds
- Beach sand
- Measuring cup and measuring spoons
- Cookie cutter (optional)
Sailor Valentine Box How-To:
- Paint inside and outside of wood veneer box and lid with craft paint of desired color and finish. Set aside and let dry completely.
- Using white glue, affix a border of sea glass and/or small shells to the perimeter of the lid.
- To create design for lid, organize shells, sea glass, and other beachcombing finds as desired. (Tip: To keep your design secure while working, lay out shells on an index card covered with double-stick tape.)
- Thoroughly mix together 1 cup sand, 1/4 cup water, and 1 tablespoon white glue and flood inside lid border with mixture. (Tip: For a specific shape, flood inside of desired cookie cutter with mixture and carefully remove cutter.)
- Transfer organized design to lid, pressing shells into sand and glue mixture. Let dry completely.
Acrylic craft paints and paintbrushes available from Martha Stewart Crafts; wood veneer boxes available at Michaels.