Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March 2012
- 2 cups dried white navy beans, covered with cold water and soaked for 24 hours
- Cold water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or sorghum syrup
- 2 cups Chicken Stock for Baked Beans
- 6 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 3-inch-long pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Drain soaked beans and transfer to a large, heavy pot. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil; simmer until beans are tender, skimming foam that rises to the top as necessary, about 60 to 90 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
Place beans and reserved cooking liquid in a heavy 3-quart baking dish with a lid. Add thyme, orange zest, garlic, dry mustard, maple syrup, and chicken stock. Arrange bacon over beans, cover, and transfer to oven; bake for 1 hour. Remove lid and continue baking 45 minutes more. Season with salt and serve.