Spaghetti with Tomato-Anchovy Sauce
For a stronger anchovy taste, use the oil from the tin in place of some of the olive oil.
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 to 16 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound spaghetti, cooked according to package instructions and drained
- Grated Parmesan
In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes with their juices until smooth. In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and anchovies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in basil and season with salt and pepper. Add spaghetti, toss to combine, and serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
SourceEveryday Food, April 2012