Spaghetti with Tomato-Anchovy Sauce
For a stronger anchovy taste, use the oil from the tin in place of some of the olive oil.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, April 2012
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 to 16 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound spaghetti, cooked according to package instructions and drained
- Grated Parmesan
In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes with their juices until smooth. In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and anchovies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in basil and season with salt and pepper. Add spaghetti, toss to combine, and serve sprinkled with Parmesan.