Marinated Skirt Steak with Apricot-Arugula Rice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest plus 1/4 cup fresh orange juice plus orange wedges for serving
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- 2 cups arugula, trimmed, washed, dried, and roughly chopped
In a zip-top bag, combine orange zest, garlic, red-pepper flakes, vegetable oil, and steak pieces. Seal and shake bag to evenly coat steak. Marinate at least 8 hours (or up to 4 days).
Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Remove steak from marinade and shake to remove excess; season with salt and pepper and cook until medium, about 4 minutes per side (work in batches, if necessary). Add juice and swirl pan to pick up browned bits from bottom. Transfer steak and juice to a plate and tent with foil. Let rest 10 minutes; thinly slice against the grain.
Wipe pan clean and add rice, broth, apricots, and vinegar. Cook over medium-high until rice is warmed through and liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat, and stir in arugula. Divide among four bowls, top with steak, and serve with orange wedges.