Spinach-and-Turkey Hand Pies
Greek-Style Turkey Meatloaf stars as the savory filling in these flaky phyllo-dough hand pies.
- Yield: Makes 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, April 2012
- 1/3 turkey meatloaf, crumbled (about 3 cups), reserved from Greek-Style Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- 1 ounce feta, crumbled (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together meatloaf, spinach, ricotta, feta, and lemon zest and juice. Season with salt, pepper, and red-pepper flakes, if using.
Lay 1 sheet phyllo on a work surface and lightly brush with oil (keeping remaining sheets covered with a damp towel). Top with 2 sheets phyllo, brushing each with oil. Cut in half crosswise and stack. Place 1 scant cup meat mixture in center; flatten slightly. Fold long sides inward to cover filling, followed by top and bottom. Lightly brush all over with oil. Repeat to make 3 more pies. Bake on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet until golden, 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.