The sweet, grassy taste of tender green asparagus brings a hint of spring to this spicy beef curry.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Source: Everyday Food, April 2012
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk, shaken well
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus (1 pound), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced against the grain
- Cooked rice noodles, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
In a large wok or skillet, heat 1/2 cup coconut milk over medium-high, stirring, until shiny and thick, 2 minutes. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add remaining coconut milk, broth, fish sauce, and brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Add bell pepper and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add steak and cook, stirring, until just cooked through, 2 minutes. Serve over noodles with lime wedges and cilantro.