Tools and Materials
- Store-bought pillow (with removable case)
- Craft knife
- Decorative trim
- Fabric scissors
- Fray Check
- Unique Stitch fabric adhesive
- Needle and thread
Pillow Embellishment How-To
- Remove pillow from case and iron case flat.
- Measure the amount of trim you will need. For a frame design, measure length of one side of frame and multiply measurement by four. Purchase a few inches more trim than you will need, or round up to the nearest yard.
- Using a ruler and a craft knife, create a square or rectangular template out of cardboard, appropriate to the size of desired frame. This will help align the trim on the pillow so it is straight. (Tip: The trim should be set in from the edge so that when the pillow is reinserted the trim isn’t lost.)
- With template on pillow, lay down trim as desired. Miter corners by laying trim end over end at a 90-degree angle and using sharp fabric scissors to cut through both pieces at a 45-degree angle. Apply Fray Check to ends of ribbon.
- Affix trim to pillow cover using Unique Stitch.
- To attach tassels to pillow corners, secure with needle and thread, starting from inside of pillow. Finish with a knot inside case.
- Once fabric adhesive has dried, put case back on pillow.
Trim available from M & J Trimming; pillows available from Wolf Home; Dritz Unique Stitch and Dritz Fray Check available from CreateForLess.