Showcase a variety of collectibles and objects in this DIY display case made with letterpress drawers from TV crafter Hosanna Houser
, as seen on "The Martha Stewart Show."
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2012
Tools and Materials
- Letterpress drawers (also called printer’s trays)
- Pliers (and other tools)
- Measuring tape
- 1/2-inch plywood
- Hairpin legs (4)
- Drill (with countersink bit)
- 3/4-inch Philips flathead bolts (with nuts)
- Lock washers
- Linen (or other fabric)
- Staple gun
- 1-inch finishing nails
- 1/4-inch glass
Collection Table Process
- Carefully remove bottom of each drawer using pliers (and other tools as needed) to remove staples and nails as you go.
- Butt two drawers together and measure resulting dimensions of underside of drawers. Cut 1/2-inch piece of plywood to fit dimensions of two drawers together. (Tip: Plywood can be cut to size at The Home Depot.)
- Bolt a hairpin leg to each corner of plywood, about 2 inches in from each side, using 3/4-inch Philips flathead bolts. Countersink each bolt and secure with lock washers.
- Upholster plywood with linen (or other desired fabric), using a staple gun to secure into place.
- Drill pilot holes around the entire edge and across the center brace area of the plywood. Attach plywood to drawers using 1-inch finishing nails pounded into each pilot hole.
- Using fabric adhesive, adhere twill tape to underside of table to hide cut edges of fabric and to cover up any visible nails and staples.
- Fill compartments of table as desired and cover with a piece of 1/4-inch-thick glass cut to the appropriate dimensions.
Hairpin legs available from Hairpinlegs.com; letterpress drawers available from eBay or your local flea market or antique shop; all other tools and materials available at The Home Depot.