Celebrate spring with this terrarium-style display featuring pretty winged critters. It makes a fun alternative to a traditional seasonal floral arrangement.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2012
Tools and Materials
- 28-gauge floral wire
- Wire cutters
- Hot-glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Styrofoam ball that fits into bottom of planter
- Sheet moss
Butterfly Centerpiece How-To
- Cut floral wire to 9-inch pieces. Remove butterflies from existing wire.
- Bend 1/2 inch of floral wire at one end to a 90-degree angle. Insert bent tip of floral wire into butterfly body. Add a dot of hot glue to secure and let dry. Repeat to make desired number of butterflies.
- Group three wired butterflies together. Arrange at staggered heights; twist wires together to create a small bundle. Repeat to make desired number of bundles.
- Place Styrofoam ball into planter; cover ball with moss. Insert butterfly bundles into moss-covered Styrofoam, and bend to arrange. Cover with cloche.
Butterflies, floral wire, and moss from Jamali Garden Supply. Cloche from Restoration Hardware.