Create beautiful faux-bois velvet with this DIY technique from artist Kevin O'Brien.
Tools and Materials
- Screen-printing screen
- White silk/rayon velvet
- Fiber Etch fiber-removing solution
- Rubber squeegee
- Metal scraper
- Fabric dyePaintbrush
Velvet Burnout How-To:
- Transfer chosen design to screen with a screen-printing kit (drawing fluid or photo emulsion). Alternatively, have a screen-printing studio transfer the design for you.
- Lay white velvet with back (smooth side) facing up. Place screen over velvet; pour solution over screen. Using a rubber squeegee, drag liquid across design. Remove screen and let dry.
- Iron the back of the velvet with a hot iron. The heat will activate the solution to dissolve the fibers.
- Turn fabric over. Using a metal scraper, scrape away dissolved velvet to reveal design.
- Dye fabric with a base color. Brush a second color of dye onto the velvet with a paintbrush. Let fabric dry before using or sewing.
Screen-printing kits, white velvet, Fiber Etch solution, Alter Ego dyes, and all other tools from Dharma Trading Co.