Blood Orange and Cherry Chimichurri
Serve this sauce with Salt and Pepper Crusted Rack of Lamb.
- 2 blood oranges
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry-wine or red-wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Slice the tops and bottoms of both oranges with a paring knife. Set one of the flat sides on your work surface. From top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit, cut away peel and white pith. Trim off any remaining pith. Holding the orange over a bowl, cut along both sides of each segment, staying close to the membrane, to release. Discard membrane. Cut segments into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix together cherries, vinegar, and sugar; let stand 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mix together parsley, mint, almonds, olive oil, salt, and oranges. Stir in cherry-vinegar mixture and season with pepper.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, February 2012