Farro Salad with Brussels Sprouts, Radicchio, and Ricotta Salata
Hearty whole grains make this a healthy and filling dish. Feel free to add or substitute in the best produce that's in season in this versatile salad from TV chef Nora Singley.
- 1 cup farro
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup finely grated ricotta salata cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/3 pound brussels sprouts, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 head radicchio, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Bartlett pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, thinly shaved lengthwise into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
Place farro in a medium bowl. Add enough water to cover; let soak 20 minutes. Drain. Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat; add drained farro and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add lemon zest and toss to combine; set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and 1/2 cup ricotta salata. Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly to emulsify. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add brussels sprouts, radicchio, pear, carrot, and fennel to bowl with farro. Add lemon juice mixture and toss to combine. Add parsley, mint, and remaining 1/2 cup ricotta salata. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper; drizzle with additional olive oil or lemon juice, if desired.