Pom-poms can be attached to a hair band or a shoe clip. They can also be tied to additional strands of T-shirt yarn to create fashionable neckwear or hot-glued to floral wire and wrapped with floral tape to imitate allium flowers.
Tools and Materials
- T-shirt in desired color (preferably with no side seam)
- Rotary cutter
- Pom-pom maker
- Waxed twine
T-shirt Yarn Pom-Poms How-To:
- Using a rotary cutter and a ruler, cut off top of shirt, just below the arms and/or graphic. Remove bottom hem, leaving a tube of fabric.
- Lay tube flat with open edges on left and right. Fold the bottom side of the tube to a point one inch down in from the top side. Smooth fold and align open edges.
- Using a rotary cutter and ruler, cut straight lines into folded tube every inch from left to right. Cut from the bottom fold all the way through the first top fold, leaving the 1-inch margin at the top intact.
- Unfold shirt to reveal margin area. With scissors, cut across margin on a bias, connecting diagonally opposite cuts, to create one continuous strip of fabric.
- Create "yarn" by pulling and stretching small sections the strip until it curls in on itself, for the entire length of the strip.
- Use a pom-pom maker to make T-shirt yarn pom-poms; secure pom-pom with waxed twine.
Pom-pom makers available from Clover.