Zodiac Constellation Wall Art
Brighten up your kid's room while teaching an astronomony lesson with this illuminated craft from TV crafter Jim “Figgy” Noonan.
Photography: Rob Tannenbaum
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February 2012
Tools and Materials
- Constellation template (Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius or Pisces)
- Screw punch
- 12-inch square glitter paper
- Black felt-tip marker
- “Starry Sky” punch
- Craft glue
- Paper cutter or craft knife and ruler
- Basswood canvas
- Drill and drill bit
- Sanding pad or sandpaper
- Skewer or pencil
- Battery-operated LED lights
- Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
Zodiac Constellation Wall Art How-To
- Download desired template (Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius or Pisces). Increase size by 150 percent and print out.
- Using screw punch with largest bit attached, punch out holes for each star on template. Place template in desired position on piece of 12-inch square glitter paper and mark position of each star with black felt-tip marker.
- Using “Starry Sky” punch, punch stars from glitter paper of a different color and affix to star position marks with craft glue.
- Using a paper cutter or a craft knife and a ruler, cut 1/8-inch wide strips of glitter paper of same color as stars and, using the template as a guide, create connecting lines between stars, measuring and trimming each strip with scissors as you go and affixing with craft glue.
- Once glue has dried, use screw punch with smallest bit attached to punch a hole in the center of each star, being sure to punch through both the star and the paper below.
- Place glitter artwork on 12-inch by 12-inch basswood canvas and use as a template, marking each hole with a pencil.
- Using a drill bit the same diameter as your LED lights, drill a hole through the wooden canvas at each mark. Using a sanding pad or sandpaper, remove any splinters or rough spots and, using a skewer or pencil tip, clear each hole of dust and debris.
- Paint sides of wooden canvas as desired and allow to dry completely.
- Once paint is dry, use double-sided tape to affix glitter artwork to wooden canvas, being sure to line up drilled holes in wood with punched holes in paper. (Tip: Avoid using glue to attach the glitter paper as moisture may cause the work to buckle.)
- With scissors, trim LED lights to desired length, based on number of stars in chosen constellation, and cover cut ends with electrical tape for safety.
- Turn artwork over, squeeze a small bead of hot glue around the collar of each LED light, and insert into appropriate drilled hole from the back.
- Insert batteries and affix battery pack to bottom left or right corner of canvas using hot glue.
- Attach desired hanging hardware, turn on lights, and display proudly.
Silver glitter paper from the “Neutrals” pack, blue glitter paper from the “Brights” pack, “Starry Sky” punch, screw punch, paper cutter, and hot-glue gun from Martha Stewart Crafts; 12-inch square basswood canvas available from Walnut Hollow; battery-operated LED “Teeny Lights” available from Save-On-Crafts.