Tools and Materials
- Leaf template
- Tray with four sides
- Glass cut to fit inside bottom of tray
- Adhesive stencil film
- Craft knife
- Acrylic paint (dark gray)
- Gilding size
- Patent silver leaf
- Gilding brush
Silver-Leaf Serving Tray How-To
- Download and print leaf template, enlarging to desired size to fit tray.
- Remove backing from adhesive stencil film and smooth onto underside of glass.
- Place template on a flat surface and place glass over template, film side up. Following the template through the glass, cut the leaf shapes into the stencil film with a craft knife. Remove the film from inside the leaf shapes.
- Paint two coats of paint over the stencil, letting dry between coats. Remove stencil from glass.
- Paint entire underside (painted side) of glass with gilding size.
(Note: Size will be milky when applied and turn clear as it sets and becomes tacky.)
- Apply patent silver leaf over size, and use a soft brush to remove excess leaf.
- Place glass in tray.
Small rectangle lacquer trays from West Elm; Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Paint in Arrowhead, adhesive stencil film, and paintbrushes from Plaid; silver leaf and leafing supplies from Gilded Planet and New York Central Art Supply.