Raspberry White Cake
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries (8 ounces)
- 2/3 cup raspberry jam
- Meringue Frosting
- 1/2 cup large-flake dried unsweetened coconut
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat three 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, line bottoms with parchment, and coat again. Whisk together flour, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. In a separate bowl, combine cream, milk, baking powder, and egg whites. Whisk in vanilla, almond extract, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
Fold in flour mixture. Fold in raspberries, then divide among pans. Bake until golden and top springs back when touched, about 25 minutes. (Each cake layer will be approximately 1/2 inch in height.) Let cool in pans 30 minutes. Remove; let cool completely on a wire rack.
Spread half the jam over top of 1 cake layer, and sandwich with another layer. Repeat with remaining jam and layer. Swirl frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top with coconut.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, April 2012