Bake these healthy morning treats, from Randell Dodge of Red Barn Bakery, for a great alternative to the usual granola.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups packed dark-brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried mango
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried papaya
- 1 cup dried banana chips
Preheat a convection oven to 325 degrees or a conventional oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add brown sugar and mix until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix just to combine.
With the mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture and mix until well combined. Add oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, raisins, mango, and papaya; mix to combine.
Form dough into eight equal portions, about 1 cup each, and form into patties, about 4 inches in diameter. Place on prepared baking sheets. Top evenly with banana chips. Transfer to oven and bake until golden and firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets.