Fast, delicious, and affordable, this beef Stroganoff with egg noodles dish from TV chef Nikki Elkins makes for a family-friendly weeknight dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 pound top round steak, thinly sliced across the grain and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 cups cooked warm egg noodles, for serving
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving (optional)
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add half of the beef to the skillet in a single, even layer; cook, turning once, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer beef to a plate and set aside. Repeat process with remaining beef, adding more oil, if necessary.
Add remaining tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to skillet. When butter is melted and foamy, add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, scraping up browned bits from the bottom, until mushrooms release their liquid, about 4 minutes. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and onions and let cook 30 seconds. Stir in 1 cup beef broth; bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
In a small saucepan, heat remaining cup of broth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in sour cream and mustard; transfer broth mixture to skillet and stir to combine.
Return beef and any juices that have accumulated on the plate to skillet; season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cook until beef is heated through. Toss egg noodles with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Serve beef Stroganoff immediately over buttered noodles; garnish with parsley, if desired.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, February 2012