Wilted Escarole with Walnuts and Blue Cheese
This skillet-cooked winter salad gives the classic blue-cheese-greens-and-nuts combination a new toasty edge.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2012
- 1 large head escarole
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
Cut escarole into 1 1/2-inch wedges, leaving base intact. In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium; add a few wedges and cook, turning, until escarole is wilted and light brown on all sides, 3 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter. Repeat twice with more oil and remaining escarole. Top with walnuts and blue cheese; drizzle with lemon juice, if desired.