Escarole with Olives and Tomato
This easy side dish is winter's answer to the Greek salad. Lightly cooking the tomatoes and garlic sweetens their flavors, while wilting the escarole mellows its bite.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2012
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large head escarole, trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add garlic, olives, and tomatoes; cook until tomatoes are soft, about 2 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add escarole to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until escarole is wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, return olive mixture to skillet, and stir in vinegar to taste. Serve immediately.