Under 30 Minutes
Escarole Salad with Green Apple Vinaigrette and Crispy Shallots
Raw celery and a bright vinaigrette give winter greens a fresh edge, while a garnish of pan-fried shallots makes croutons obsolete.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white-wine or Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons diced peeled Granny Smith apple
- 1 large head escarole, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, plus 1/2̇ cup tender inner leaves
In a small skillet, heat oil and shallot over medium-high; cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown. With a slotted spoon, transfer shallot to paper towels to drain and season with salt and pepper. Let oil cool slightly.
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, and apple. Slowly add oil from skillet, whisking until combined. Season with salt and pepper, then add escarole and celery stalks and leaves. Toss to combine and top with shallots.
SourceEveryday Food, March 2012