Slow-Cooker Beef Ragu
Served over pasta or polenta, or in sandwich rolls, this simple meat dish becomes a star.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves (or 3 teaspoons dried)
- 1 beef chuck roast (4 pounds), halved
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, tomato paste, and oregano. Season roast with salt and pepper and place on top of onion mixture. Add 2 cups water, cover, and cook on high until meat is tender and can easily be pulled apart with a fork, 4 1/2 hours (or 9 hours on low). Let cool 10 minutes, then shred meat in slow cooker with 2 forks and stir in vinegar to taste.