Slow-Cooker Sweet-and-Spicy Chicken
It's a busy cook's dream: dinner that makes itself. With a slow cooker, it's a reality. Toss together the few ingredients necessary to make this flavorful chicken dish, push a button, and find a comforting meal ready at supper time.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, March 2012
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 chicken leg quarters (2 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (root end left intact)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced into rounds
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raisins
In a large zip-top bag, combine cumin, cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; add chicken and toss to coat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until golden, about 4 minutes; flip and cook 2 minutes.
In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, place onion, garlic, and ginger. Add chicken, skin side up, then top with tomatoes and their liquid and raisins. Cover and cook on high until chicken is tender, 3 1/2 hours (or 6 hours on low).