Chickpeas, Olives, and Tomatoes on Toast
This mixture, with or without the fish, is also terrific tossed into pasta.
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- Red-pepper flakes
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup halved pitted green olives
- Slices rustic bread, toasted
- Oil-packed tuna or sardines (optional)
Heat a skillet over high, then coat with olive oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add chickpeas and red-pepper flakes; cook until chickpeas begin to brown and pop, about 3 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and their liquid, 1/4 cup water, and olives and simmer 1 minute; season with salt. Brush bread slices with oil and season. Spoon chickpea mixture on bread and drizzle with oil. You can top this off with tuna or sardines for an extra hit of protein.