Gemelli with Cauliflower, Bacon, and Sage
Cauliflower is a good source of vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. Here, cauliflower's mellow taste is combined with aromatic sage, and rich, smoky bacon in a simple-but-satisfying pasta dish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2012
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound gemelli or other short pasta
- 5 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add butter, onions, and garlic to skillet and cook until onions are softened, 10 minutes. Add cauliflower, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender, 12 minutes. Stir in bacon and sage and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add cauliflower mixture to pot with pasta. Stir in vinegar and enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Season with salt and pepper.