This signature sandwich from Minetta Tavern would make an impressive accompaniment to the big game.
- Servings: 8
Source: The Martha Stewart Show
For the Roast Beef
- 1 (3-pound) beef culotte
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup very coarsely chopped onion (about 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup very coarsely chopped shallots (about 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally (unpeeled)
For the Jus
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought beef broth
For the Sandwich
- Softened unsalted butter
- 8 (6-inch) French hero rolls, split
- 1 clove garlic
- Fleur de sel
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh peeled horseradish
- Dijon mustard, for serving
Make the roast beef: Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
Set a rack in a medium roasting pan. Season beef with salt and pepper and place on rack. Transfer roasting pan to oven and roast for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 400 degrees. Add tomatoes, onion, shallots, carrots, and garlic to roasting pan; continue roasting until meat is rare, about 25 minutes more. Remove meat from oven and wrap in parchment paper-lined foil. Let stand until room temperature.
Make the jus: Meanwhile, transfer roasting pan to stove. Using kitchen twine, tie together thyme and parsley; add to pan along with peppercorns. Cook vegetables over medium-high heat until browned. Add wine and cook until reduced by half. Add beef broth; let simmer for 15 minutes.
Carefully unwrap meat and transfer to a cutting board. Pour any drippings that have accumulated in the parchment-lined foil into roasting pan. Strain broth mixture through a fine mesh strainer; discard solids and keep jus warm until ready to serve.
Make the sandwiches: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter cut sides of each roll; place on a baking sheet, cut side up, and transfer to oven. Toast until golden brown. Rub garlic clove over cut sides of rolls and set aside.
Thinly slice meat crosswise into 1/4-inch slices; scrunch slices together in a large baking dish; season with salt and pepper and drizzle with warm jus. Transfer to oven and cook until just heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Divide meat evenly among toasted rolls and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Lightly grate horseradish over meat and drizzle with jus. Drizzle cut side of top half of roll with jus if desired. Serve sandwiches with Dijon mustard and remaining jus.