Pickled Spring Onions and Asparagus
Pucker your lips for this delightful mix of salty and sour pickled veggies.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 2 quarts
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2012
- 3 cups white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 6 strips (1 inch wide) fresh lemon zest
- 2 bay leaves
- Coarse salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 bunches spring onions (red or white), trimmed to height of a 1-quart jar
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, trimmed to height of a 1-quart jar
Bring 3 3/4 cups water, the vinegar, coriander seeds, lemon zest, bay leaves, 2 tablespoons salt, and the sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add onions, and return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes.
Divide asparagus between two 1-quart jars. Add onions, and divide liquid between jars. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover, and refrigerate at least 1 day and up to 1 month.