Pan-Roasted Salmon with Fresh Onion and Fennel Salad
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2012
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (preferably wild; each 5 ounces and 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 1 cup very thinly shaved fennel (from 1 bulb)
- 1 cup pea shoots or mache
- 1 fresh white onion, very thinly shaved (1/2 to 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, plus cilantro sprigs for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, or white-wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar
- Coarse salt
- 2 medium golden tomatoes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, and swirl to coat pan. Add salmon, skinned side up, and sear until golden, about 3 minutes. Flip salmon, and transfer to oven. Roast 5 minutes (for medium).
Toss together fennel, pea shoots, onion, cilantro leaves, vinegar, and remaining 3 tablespoons oil; season with salt.
Slice tomatoes, and arrange on 4 plates. Season with salt, and top with salmon. To serve, top with salad, and drizzle with oil. Season with salt, and garnish with cilantro sprigs.