Japanese-Style Fried Chicken
Fried chicken gets a burst of Asian-inspired flavor in this easy-to-make recipe from TV chef Sarah Mastracco.
- 8 cups canola oil
- 2 (3-ounce) package Kikkoman Kara-Age soy-ginger seasoned coating mix
- 2/3 cup sparkling water
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch-thick pieces
- 2 Fresno or jalapeno chiles, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- Asian Slaw
- Frozen Chinese buns, steamed or other soft roll, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Fresh sprigs cilantro, for serving
Heat oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
In a medium bowl, whisk together coating mix with water until a medium-thick batter forms. Working in batches, dredge chicken in batter to completely coat and add to hot oil. Cook, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Meanwhile, dredge chiles in batter and add to hot oil; cook until crisp, about 1 minute.
Transfer chicken and chiles to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with slaw and steamed buns. Garnish with lime and cilantro, as desired.