Tools and Materials
- Purple cabbage
- Measuring cup
- Hot water
- Paper towel or coffee filter
- Eye dropper
- Numerous glasses or cups
- Substances to test (cream of tartar, soda water, aspirin, bleach, ammonia, baking soda, etc.)
Cabbage Juice Acid/Base Indicator How-To
- With a knife, finely chop cabbage and add two large handfuls to a blender.
- Measure out 3 cups of very hot water and add to blender.
- Blend cabbage and water into a slurry (adding more water if necessary) for about 1 minute.
- Pour slurry through a strainer into a bowl, removing the pureed cabbage but saving the deep purple liquid.
- Discard cabbage and clean strainer thoroughly. Line strainer with a paper towel or coffee filter and pour liquid through one more time to remove any remaining bits of cabbage. Allow purple liquid to cool before using.
- Fill various glasses or cups with desired substances to test. For solid or powdered substances (cream of tartar, baking soda, aspirin, etc.), dissolve in water before testing.
- With an eye dropper, add a number of drops of the purple cabbage juice indicator to each substance to be tested. Acids will turn reddish pink and bases will turn greenish blue.
All tools and materials are available at your local grocery store.