Prepare a satisfying meal for your family with this hearty soup from chef Pam Anderson's "Cook Without a Book: Meatless Meals."
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, January 2012
- 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms, chopped or broken into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups homemade or good-quality low-sodium store-bought vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 cups cooked barley
- 1/4 cup red miso paste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
In an 8-cup glass measuring cup or other microwave-safe container, stir together dried mushrooms and vegetable broth. Transfer to microwave and cook until steamy-hot and mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add cremini mushrooms and cook until well browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add thyme, hot broth mixture, and barley; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Whisk in miso. If mixture seems too thick, add enough water to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper; serve hot.