1. Do not use a wooden spoon to stir chocolate; it retains odor and moisture, which will ruin the chocolate.
2. Do not let any drops of water get in the bowl with the chocolate.
3. Make sure you use a chocolate thermometer specifically designed to register the small degree changes that are necessary to ensuring properly tempered chocolate.
4. The thermometer should not touch the bottom of the bowl; it will cause an inaccurate reading.
5. A heating pad placed under the bowl of tempered chocolate will help keep it from cooling too quickly.