Tools and Materials
- Decorative shelf with brackets
- Wall anchors (depending on weight and wall material)
Hanging a Decorative Shelf How-To
- Drill a hole into the wall at the desired shelf height. (Tip: To minimize dust when drilling into drywall, first punch a pilot hole using an awl.)
- Use a level and yardstick to find the correct height for the second hole. (Tip: Use a yardstick to add length to your level instead of buying a larger level.)
- Push wall anchors into the drilled holes, then tap anchors gently with a hammer until they are flush with the wall surface. (Tip: Use a drill bit that’s slightly smaller than the anchors for a tight fit.)
- Screw screws into anchors, leaving a portion of the screw stem exposed. Place shelf brackets onto screws, then place and attach shelf on top of brackets.
Tools and supplies are available from The Home Depot.