Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 7059
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled (about 2 ounces) or 1 tablespoon bottled ginger juice
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 to 3 shallots, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or mint (or a mix of both)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a rack set in center of oven. Line a heavy-bottomed rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
Finely grate ginger, if using fresh, on a microplane grater. You should have about 2 tablespoons grated ginger. Squeeze ginger over a small fine mesh sieve set over a bowl or in a piece of cheesecloth into a bowl, extracting as much liquid as possible. You should have about 1 tablespoon ginger juice. Discard grated ginger.
Place beans and shallots on prepared baking sheet; drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Transfer to oven and cook, until beans are tender and browned in spots and beginning to shrivel and shallots are browned in spots, 15 to 20 minutes, tossing once or twice during cooking.
Immediately transfer beans and shallots to a serving bowl and add garlic and ginger juice; toss to combine. Add cilantro or mint and season with salt; toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.