Tools and Materials
Card stock, scrapbook paper, and envelopes
Pens and pencils
Self-healing cutting mat
If planning to mail the card, measure the envelope first and size the card accordingly (usually about 1/4 inch smaller all around). For the cleanest results, cut the paper with a craft knife on a self-healing mat (cut straight lines along a ruler). Some cards need the additional backing to conceal cuts or add weight; create a border by cutting the back piece slightly larger than the base, and layer patterned and solid papers.
- Print a template on card stock, cut, and trace onto the paper for the folded piece. (If making one card, print directly on desired paper.)
- Fold along score marks. Then unfold, cut out, and refold.
- Position the folded piece inside base card so it pops. Secure with double-sided tape.
These cards require cutting along a fold, or making doubles to sandwich cord between.
- For lovebirds, position template so that the beak’s point is right at the paper’s folded edge.
- For heart lock, cut 2 lock bases, 1 lock front, and 2 keys. Sandwich the cord’s ends between the duplicates, and secure with double-sided tape.
- For airplane, cut 2 fuselages and 6 heart clouds. Sandwich ribbon between the duplicates, and tape.
Essentials paper pad, 12" by 12", in Neutral, by Martha Stewart Crafts; from michaels.com. Wood-grain paper, 20" by 26", in Pickled Maple; nycentralart.com. Fine metallic twist cord (#00329), 3mm, in Gold; organdy ribbon (02103001), in White, 3mm; mjtrim.com.
- Print desired illustration on card stock.
- For hand, cut with scissors, making sure to snip between thumb and index finger.
- For mailbox, print flag on red card stock, and cut out. With craft knife, cut along "U" of door and three sides of flag base on mailbox. Punch hole, and secure flag with paper fastener.
- For train, snip flaps off envelopes, and tape envelopes to the flat beds.
Metallic covers, 80 lb., 8 1/2" by 11", in Gold and Silver; mini envelopes, in Tiffany Blue, Pink Feather, and Rouge, business card–size; paperpresentation.com.