Shrimp Salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
To satisfy a hungry crowd, serve this tart shrimp salad, courtesy of Joanna Rockwell of San Diego, California, with white or brown rice in place of lettuce.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2012
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 small white onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus leaves for serving
- 1 head Bibb or Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp to skillet and cook until opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
To skillet, add 1 teaspoon oil and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 3 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Add cooked shrimp and toss to combine.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons oil, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Divide lettuce among 4 plates. Top with shrimp mixture, carrots, and cilantro leaves. Drizzle with dressing.